Thursday, October 10, 2013

I'm Scared of Animal Crossing

I'm scared. I'm afraid to face my responsibilities. I fear that I've done something horrible that I just can't accept. I've abandoned my Animal Crossing town. I couldn't help it. I started missing occasional days, as I'd done most of what I wanted to do in the game, so each daily visit to the town of Scone was just a pleasantry, a chance to mingle with the residents, my wards, my friends. Then I saw the town functioning without me, so I slipped further away. Now most of my time was spent buying and storing turnips before noon on Sunday in order to make a hefty profit and pay off my last couple of house improvements, with the remainder spent checking the prices at Re-Tail. But it didn't stop. Other games began luring me away from my mayoral responsibilities.

Time passed, as I slept inside my house. The villagers began to wonder where their mayor had gone. I decided to venture outside. Isabelle was shocked that I'd been away for so long. The guilt kicked in fast. Weeds and dead flowers were scattered around the town. The villagers all remarked how they hadn't seen me in weeks and thought the worst had happened. My god, I thought I'd only been away a few days. But that wasn't the worst of it. There was a blank space on my map where a friend's house once stood. Angus had moved. He was a stern and grumpy bull on the outside, but I'd gotten to know him well. He'd softened up and I thought we were close. He never mentioned moving. I would have begged him to stay. I couldn't face this town now, not now I'd lost a friend.

Days passed. Days melded into weeks. Weeks turned to months. It's been months since I've set foot in Scone. I fear how it has turned out, what kind of dystopia it's become. I want to visit, but I can't bring myself to do it. What if someone else has moved? What if a new villager has settled in after hearing rumours of a ghost town and has crushed the few flowers that remain? What it weeds have overgrown the fields? I can't bear to look. I can't simply accept these changes and continue on as if nothing had happened. I can't just shake my responsibilities either. There's more to the game I haven't seen. But I can't do it. I'm scared.

1 comment: